Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Digital Game-Based Learning Breaks Glass Ceiling in Classroom

The educational atmosphere in my classroom has been changing, and it's worth sharing about. My practices, students, and curricula have evolved from the year before last. I re-engineered my thoughts about the digital divide and our roles as educators to provide the digital literacies needed to be a successful learner in today's society. Taking what I had learned from last year's group of students, I built a curricular bridge towards innovative digital literacy instruction in the classroom. 

I have seen a change in the subtle nuances my students make towards their learning that many come to know as developmental progress, although small, it is very important. Is this because of the changes I made towards my curriculum? How did digital game-based learning play a role in this change?

I owe much thanks to my students for giving me food for thought on a daily basis. Without such great students, I would find myself losing touch from what is truly happening in education, for they are the now of digital literacy learning.

So, what am I doing in class that has me so excited about student learning? It's like I broke the glass ceiling in my language arts classroom by tastefully infusing meaningful gamification. Using DGBL in my class this year has changed the way my students make-meaning from their literary studies. My use of DGBL changed from last year. I have scaffolded the process of literacy instruction to grow ever-more complex with the progression of the school year.

A thoughtful exploration of literacy as a form of study took place in my class throughout the year. Starting with the literate self and ending in the digital avatar of oneself, we explored how all forms of literacy shape our ability to 'read' and 'write' in the world as literate peoples. I attribute much of the success of this year's changes to the tasteful and meaning changes I made towards my progression or scope and sequence, as some call it, towards my learning goals.

So, the question remains, what does good digital game-based learning look like in classrooms today? Furthermore, what types of activities do teachers use to engage their students, and how does it really work and look like? The field needs more case studies and practitioner research on how DGBL is working in classrooms now. I feel my work with students over the last seven years has given me a clear idea about what I want to research, and how I might be able to contribute to the greater body of educational literary practices.

I have much more to say on this matter, but most is best kept until I find the right manner to lay all this out into smaller pieces of research.

1. Where does gamification fit into the language arts classroom?

2. What are other teachers doing in their classrooms towards meeting the needs of digital literacy learning initiatives?

3. What types of specific activities and practices can promote digital literacy learning using gamification in the classroom?

4. What barriers exist towards achieving equity among digital access in/out of the classroom?

I would love your feedback on this! Comments, Questions, Concerns? Comment below or email me. I love feedback and insight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 8 Review in Rocket League (Rising Tides Raise All Boats)

 Season 8 Review in Rocket League  (Rising Tides Raise All Boats)      This season was one of assistance, mechanics, and a step back from th...